Best Tankless Water Heaters 2019 – Top Picks & Reviews
Here we have put together some of the top tankless water heaters that are currently available. We have focused on offering a variety of options so you can see various features, price points, and quality. Consider each product and be sure to evaluate the pros and cons of each one as your conduct your research.
It is our hope that you can use this information to help you purchase the best tankless water heater for your specific situation. Read on to learn more about this product and how you can make a quality purchase.
|Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric|
|Eccotemp L5 Portable|
(Best for the Money)
|Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor||38 lbs||4.3/5|
|Rheem RTE 13||7 lbs||4.0/5|
Best Tankless Water Heaters 2019 – Reviews:
1. Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric – Our Top Pick
The Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric is considered the best tankless water heater on the market. You won’t be surprised at its incredible reputation once you see just what this heater includes! Let’s start by pointing out that this heater includes a lifetime warranty for residential use. This means, if anything included in the warranty malfunctions, you don’t have to worry about the costs associated with replacing it. The digital thermostat allows you to control water temperature by one-degree increments which means you can choose the exact temperature that is right for you. Temperatures range from 62-105 degrees Fahrenheit.
What’s more is that this particular unit can save you up to 12 cubic square feet of space! You’ll be amazed to learn that this space-saving unit can also cut your water heating costs by up to 60%. Consumers have indicated that this unit heats up water quickly and provides consistent warm water the entire time that it’s in use.
A few things to keep in mind is that the warranty does not cover the repair costs, only the price associated with replacement. Additionally, the unit is only capable of dual-use (shower/bath) if the temperatures of each don’t go over 70 degrees Fahrenheit. All in all this is a solid tankless water heater that has brought satisfaction to many people who have purchased it.
2. Eccotemp L5 Portable – Best for the Money
This tankless water heater can be used in your home, on your boat, in your cabin, or even to give your outdoor animals a bath. This is by far the best tankless water heater for the money because with affordability comes top quality and versatility.
This lightweight unit was designed for easy portability as it only weighs 13 lbs. Its perfect size allows you to easily store it away when not in use. The setup is incredibly easy as all the attachments are included. You even have an adjustable shower nozzle that makes bathing a breeze. To use, attach to an outside hose and a propane tank (sold separately). In a matter of minutes, you will have an endless supply of warm water. The temperature range is 80-150 degrees Fahrenheit. After 20 minutes, the unit will automatically shut-off for an added layer of efficiency.
This unit is a best seller on Amazon because it not only can be used virtually anywhere at any time, but it’s power source is battery-operated. This means, you don’t need electricity to operate it! Keep in mind, the unit does require two D-Cell batteries which are not included in the purchase.
Consumers love this tankless water heater because it is easy to use, affordable, and can be used in many locations. One thing to keep in mind is that the unit does require 2 feet of wall clearance and at least 1 foot clearance from flammable objects. For some people, this has restricted the area that they could use the unit.
3. Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor – Best Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater
In the market for the best natural gas tankless water heater? Then this is the unit for you! This indoor tankless water heater is idea for apartment spaces. The unit weighs about 37 pounds which indicates that it’s not as lightweight as other options, but instead is intended to be placed in a single area that you plan to use it.
Included in this unit is inlet and outlet temperature monitoring so you can always be certain of water temperature. This can be an excellent safety feature if you want to ensure that there is no accidently scalding. Another bonus is that this unit is backed by 10-year warranty that includes total unit replacement and a 5-year warranty on unit parts. What’s more is that even people who use the unit for their family of 4+ people indicate that the unit heats water perfectly for their use. However, it should be noted that you should not share the installation stack with any other item. For example, do not use the tankless water heater on the same stack as you do your furnace. This can be a safety concern. Also, it should be noted that some buyers have indicated that the installation is not as simple as other units, but they were able to have their questions answered by the manufacturer’s customer service.
4. Rheem RTE 13
Another tankless water heater worth discussing is the Rheem RTE 13. Included is on-unit temperature control and LEDS clearly indicate when the heater is activated or on stand-by mode. This unit can be used indoors or outdoors and the space-saving size means that it’s no trouble to pack up and move around.
This unit is simple to install and only requires the standard ½” water connection. Buyers across the board are impressed with the cost savings associated with using this tankless water heater. They especially appreciate the fact that they can take their hot water virtually anywhere they go since the unit is easy to install. There is also a 10-year warranty included with this product.
However, one thing to keep in mind is that this unit doesn’t seem to work well in situations where many water features (showers, washers, etc.) are used simultaneously. The unit is described as being best suited for a single person or couple, or a family that doesn’t require consistent water usage.
Tankless Water Heater Buying Guide
Hopefully the reviews above can help you see what types of features you should expect in quality tankless water heaters. However, there are many more options available and numerous considerations to keep in minds. As you get closer and closer to making the final purchase, we want you to be as informed as possible so that you are confident in the heater that you ultimately select. There are certainly many options, but we don’t want you to feel overwhelmed by choices. Instead, we want you to have the valuable knowledge that you need to weed out the best from the worst heaters out there. Read on for more buying tips.
Tankless Water Heater Buying Tips
Anytime someone researches a product, it’s good to have a few key areas to focus on. Not only will this help simplify the overwhelming buying process, but it will also help you key on the points that really matter to you. Here, we have compiled a list of the top points you should consider as you narrow down your top choices for a tankless water heater.
Quality is certainly an important feature for any product that you buy, but can be especially true when you are in the market for a tankless water heater. Keep in mind that the unit that you choose could mean the difference between a warm, relaxing shower or an unsatisfying one that goes cold midway through. Nobody wants to deal with that! When evaluating the quality of the unit consider the following:
- What kind of materials are used? In tankless water heaters, brass and copper are often used because they are both durable Ensure that reviews indicate the material is long-lasting and there are no recorded issues of rusting or breaking after a few months.
- What kind of attachments are required? Consider the quality of these items as well because if the unit is sturdy, but the attachments are not then that could likely mean issues in the future.
Safety is certainly a concern when it comes to tankless water heaters. While most are designed with safety in mind, you want to be sure about what is included under safety features. Some considerations:
- Is there an automatic shut off? Not only can this help with safety, but also affordability.
- Is there a digital thermometer that is easy and clear to read? This will ensure that you are heating the water properly and not scalding the individual while it’s in use.
- Are instructions for installation clear? Be sure that you read over the instructions in their entirety. The reality is that many of these heaters outline safety restrictions during installation so that the unit is not at risk for catching fire or malfunctioning.
Many tankless water heaters have specific uses which should be understood prior to purchase. Knowing how to properly operate the unite will ensure that you are using it to its best ability and that you are getting what you paid for. Some considerations:
- Is the unit identified as indoor or outdoor use? All units will indicate what their purpose is for. If they are intended as indoor use only, then you should recognize the installation and use restrictions. Keep in mind that some units are available for dual purpose.
- How powerful is the water pressure? Often outdoor units operate on a considerably lower water pressure (although not always) make sure that you understand the pressure limitations and how that may impact your overall use of the heater.
You definitely need to take into consideration the space that you have available for the unit as well as the size of the unit itself. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- What kind of home do you live in? Some units are specifically designed for apartment use while others are better used in larger homes.
- Do you have enough space to safely operate? Don’t ignore the restrictions when it comes to clearance required to operate the tankless water heater that you buy. Failure to do so could result in injury.
- Can you store the unit if it is outdoor use only? Many of these units are pretty compact, but you should know where you will store the item when it’s not in use and ensure that it is stowed away safely.
Price is something that many consumers rank as a priority. While it is certainly important, you need to be aware that you “get what you pay for”. This isn’t to say that you can’t find a quality tankless water heater for a good price, but you need to be weary of how price compares to quality. Keep this in mind:
- What is your budget? Make sure that you have an established budget before you enter the marketplace. Offer a bit of a range so that you have some flexibility when it comes to comparison shopping.
- What kind of features are you most interested in? Larger tankless water heaters may come at a hefty price, but you need to consider if you need a large tank or if a smaller tank will do the trick.
- Do you want a multi-use unit? Sometimes, these units can cost more simply because they offer dual-use. Consider what you need for your situation and create a price point accordingly.
All consumers should look up the warranty for any product that they have, but a tankless water is especially important if you consider how much you will likely use it in your everyday life. Here are some things to check out in the warranty:
- How long is the warranty? Some warranties are only a year-long while others are at least a decade. The peace of a mind of a longer warranty may be worth the price.
- What does the warranty cover? Be sure to read the fine print. Warranties usually come with two time periods: one for total replacement and one for part replacement. Also, the warranty doesn’t usually cover fees associated with hiring a professional to fix the repairs. Be sure to contact the manufacturer if the warranty is unclear.
It is our hope that you can take these tips and use them as you search for the best tankless water heater that suits your needs. Be sure to evaluate the products we’ve mentioned here as well as the overall features you should consider. While each point is important, it is up to you to weigh each feature and consider which ones mean the most to you.
Whether you need a water heater for your home or on the road, this product is an excellent option if you are interested in saving money and space. As we have proven here, there are so many options available to you. However, we hope that we have helped you focus on the many possibilities that will meet your needs. In the end, a variety of choices means that there is likely a perfect fit for your situation. It simply takes some time and effort to research the market for the best match.
Tankless water heaters can be a convenient and safe option for heating the water in your home or outdoor space. As you can see, this is an incredibly safe, not to mention money-saving solution that can drastically reduce your annual water spending. If you are interested in saving money without sacrificing warm water temperatures, then this is certainly the right product for you.
Now that we have discussed the overall features, price points, and quality of tankless water heaters, it is up to you take this information with you as you research the market on your own. As you can see, there are many features that you should consider as you weigh the pros and cons of a particular unit. In the end, you should consider how your purchase will impact your daily life and if the unit will be useful long-term. Take the time to consider reviews, brand reputation, and overall quality of the water heater so that you can get a full picture of the pros and cons. Once you have a few options as your top favorites, then you can narrow down the search even more by using the information we provided here.
You should focus on the efficiency, financial savings, safety, and overall reputation as you work to refine your search. Remember that as tankless heaters have developed over the years, much attention has been given to the convenience and safety features associated with this type of heater. You should expect the very best as you conduct your research. It is our hope that you can use this guide to help you navigate the many options available and in the end, you are able to make an informed decision for the best tankless water heater that will meet your needs now as well as into the future.
- Best Tankless Water Heaters 2019 – Reviews:
- Tankless Water Heater Buying Guide